Thursday, 25 June 2015

Krashen Hypothesis.



I have never heart about Krashen. And it seems that his Hypothesis have changed the way that L2 is taught. I would like to expose some applications of them in the classroom. I am interested as a teacher as well as a student. Because as a learner if I understand whys I improve much more than if I do not.

The Acquisition-Learning hypothesis
The more real and authentic situations we could create, the more acquiring language.

The Monitor hypothesis
According to this theory, teachers must balanced between acquisition system and learning system, the monitor that inspect the language production and corrects it. But if monitor takes the control, could be a barrier that force the learner to slow down to focus in accuracy. The balance is established between accuracy and fluency. So the teacher must thing before making a correction.  

The Natural Order hypothesis.
Learners acquire parts of language in a predictable order. This hypothesis suggests that this natural order of acquisition occurs independently of deliberate teaching sequence. And L1 natural order is different than L2. According to this hypothesis, teachers should respect L2 Natural Order. Teachers should start by introducing language concepts that are relatively easy for learners to acquire and then use scaffolding to introduce more difficult concepts.

The Input hypothesis.
This hypothesis suggests that language acquisition occurs when learners receive messages that they can understand. Comprehensible input should be one step beyond the learner’s current language ability, represented as i + 1, in order to allow learners to continue to progress with their language development. This hypothesis highlights the importance of communication better than grammatical structures.

The Affective Filter hypothesis.
The affective filter is a 'screen' that is influenced by emotional variables that can prevent learning. According to Krashen the affective filter can be prompted by many different variables including anxiety, self-confidence, motivation and stress. To create a safe, welcoming environment in which students can learn may be especially important. Learners need to feel that they are able to make mistakes and take risks.

The Reading Hypothesis
This hypothesis basically states that the more we read the greater our vocabulary will be. Simple. So, It is important to read in the classroom to increase knowledge of the language and the way it is used in real-life contexts.

No comments:

Post a Comment